Sunday, May 30, 2010

Choking Hazards

Lately, my 1-year-old has been an eating machine.  Anything we put on her little high-chair table goes into her mouth.  It's been a joy to watch her eat with such gusto, particularly since my older child was a picky eater. 

However, I recently read a sobering article about choking hazards that has given me pause at the dinner table.  According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the top 10 choking hazards for young children are:

1) hot dogs
2) peanuts
3) carrots
4) boned chicken
5) candy
6) meat
7) popcorn
8) fish with bones
9) sunflower seeds
10) apples

I will admit that I let my 3-year-old daughter eat popcorn because it keeps her quiet while we are at Target.  But apparently, anyone under the age of 5 is in danger of choking while eating popcorn.  A New York Times piece describes a popcorn incident which had fatal consequences for one family.  Scary stuff.  I probably won't buy it for her again. 

The American Academy of Pediatrics is now urging the Food and Drug Administration to require warning labels on these choking hazard foods.  Do you think this is necessary?  Or should parents just know better?

No comments:

Post a Comment