Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Taking Better Photos of Your Kids

After my firstborn arrived, we didn't have the budget for professional baby photos.  But like every typical first-time parent, I was camera happy and wanted to capture every...single... moment.  Too bad my pictures looked like the amateur that I was.  For every 20 shots I took, I got one good one.  (Thank goodness for digital cameras!)

Slowly, through trial and error, I finally did learn how to take some decent photos.  One thing I did learn quickly was that using natural light instead of a flash made for much prettier pictures.  Of course, this is tip #1 from New York City-photographer Sabra Krock's article on the Estella blog. Wish I had these three years ago!

1. Turn your flash off and use natural light
2. Get to know our camera
3. Get candid
4. Don't forget yourself -- remember to include yourself in some pictures!
5. Don't leave home without it (your camera)
6. Hire a pro
7. Get in close -- don't be shy about getting in your baby's face.
8. Click, click, click -- channel your inner-fashion-photographer and take as many shots as possible.
9. Pay attention to the background
10. Experiment with framing your shot

See all ten articles here.

No comments:

Post a Comment